11. Bottom bracket: Shimano XT.
12. Grips: Renthal lock-on, traction
“These are stickier than most grips.
They are good in wet weather, and I like
how they feel with gloves—extra control.”
13. Cranks: Shimano XT, 170mm.
“They work perfectly and are stealthy.”
14. Chainring: Shimano XT,
15. Pedals: Shimano DX-M647.
“The platform pedal feels the best to
me—more contact with the shoe and
good for getting in and out.”
16. Chain: Shimano 10-speed.
Replacement cycle: “As needed.”
17. Rear derailleur: Shimano Saint.
“I wanted a short cage on my slalom
18. Shifters: Shimano Saint.
“Same as my DH bike.”
19. Brake levers: Shimano XT.
20. Rear cassette: Shimano
“[I] think 11-23.”
21. Saddle: Fabric Line saddle with
“This saddle is short, narrow and
well constructed. I run it on every bike I
22. Seatpost: Thomson, cut short.
23. Cables and housings: Shimano.
24. Headset: Cane Creek 110
25. Shock: Fox Float EVOL.
26. Stem: Renthal Duo, 50mm.
“I like this older model because it’s
smoother on top.”
27. Special touches: “There are Ti
bolts mounting my brakes.”
28. Extras: E*thirteen TRS
"I dunno—really light."
Photo by Bryn Atkinson